We aren’t going too far these days and taking things slow at home. Schoolwork in the morning then after lunch we take your parcels to the post office and venture outdoors within Newcastle’s LGA for some recreation time.
Even though we live within the city we have a number of areas that we can easily take a walk and enjoy our natural environment. A few of my top places to explore close to home with the kids are:
- Glenrock – has a variety of different tracks, but one particular track we like takes you through to the beach. On hotter days we will take a dip before heading back to the car.
- Fernleigh track – is a super long track that you can use within either the Newcastle or Lake Macquarie LGA depending on where you get on. Its an easy footpath perfect for walking, running or riding your bike.
- Carrington Mangrove Broadwalk – short but sweet walkway at the edge of Throsby Creek
- Kooragang Wetlands – beautiful walkway through the wetlands and other great open areas to freely walk around
- Braye Park –incredible views looking out towards the city and ocean not the most amazing or upkept playground but an interesting area that the kids can go a little wild with their imagination amongst the trees.
Depending on where we go, we generally take with us our:
- Face mask, that I’ve made from linen offcuts
- We don’t carry our hand sanitiser but its generally close by. Our favourite is from Koala Eco
- Our Kinto drink bottles, their handles make it easy for everyone to carry their own.
- And a piece of fruit from An Apple a Day
As a family, we are looking forward to being able to stop a little longer for a picnic with a friend, a throw and a few snacks.
Wherever you are, I hope that you have been able to find a little time and outdoor space to enjoy to calm that nature brings to our everyday. If you visit Newcastle in the future, I hope that you take some time to visit one of our favourite outdoor areas.